Candle-light Protests and Rule of Law
The purest candle-light gatherings were ones I saw on Christmas Eve during my childhood. The purest protests I saw were the ones driven by genuine patriotism that took place against a former dictatorship during the 1980s.

Kim Pyung-woo     필자의 다른 기사보기 

• 스크랩하기
  • 기사목록
  • 이메일보내기
  • 프린트하기
  • 글자 작게 하기
  • 글자 크게 하기

by Kim Pyung-woo (Attorney and Former Head of Korea Bar Association)

When I was a child, we would hit the streets following church service on Christmas Eve and sing carols while holding candles. The star-filled night sky was a magnificent sight as we sang clutching candles in our hands. I fondly recall returning home and drifting blissfully into sleep after a night of singing carols.

I cannot say for sure exactly when it started, but candles came to symbolize political protests in Korea. Candle-light demonstrators filled the streets of downtown Seoul in 2002 when two school girls were accidentally run over and killed by a U.S. armored vehicle, in 2008 to protest the resumption of American beef imports, in 2014 to protest the sinking of the Sewol ferry and in 2016 to protest demanding the president's resignation. The Sewol ferry protests, for instance, got off to a  serene start marked by candle-light demonstrations, only to be overpowered by violent protesters resulting in clashes with police. The presidential impeachment protests have yet to be marred by violence and have instead been characterized by musical performances by well-known singers and dancers, which has led many to scratch their heads wondering if the gatherings should be called demonstrations or festivals. Foreigners are shouting praises at the “ingenuity” of Korean protesters, who have developed a new form of protest that fuses demonstrations with concerts.

Just 30 years ago, protests in Korea were characterized by stone-hurling demonstrators chanting out loud as they faced off against armored police vehicles firing tear gas and water cannons. Such confrontations usually resulted in violent clashes that left many wounded. At that time, Korea was notorious for its violent protests. But since then, protests in Korea have been turned into cultural festivals. It is no surprise that the world is amazed by the rapid change. Korean academics and the news media are patting themselves on their backs over the transformation of protests into peaceful cultural events.

But this is merely a superficial observation. I am not sure if this constitutes evolution or progress, but a closer look at the phenomenon paints a starkly different picture. It is difficult to see how rotten the core is by glancing at the packaging. In the eyes of the rule of law, Korea truly faces a crisis.

It is physically impossible to organize a cultural festival when masses of people converge. A gathering of around a thousand people is sufficient to hold a cultural festival. For a crowd numbering in the hundreds of thousands, perhaps the vast Daegwallyeong plain in Gangwon Province is more suitable. In the eyes of a lawyer like myself, the event seems to be simply an excuse to boost the number of protesters by pretending to be a cultural festival.

Second, who supplied the candles for the protesters? The organizers of the protests did. And did the protesters receive just candles? Didn’t they receive packaged meals and even money? (Of course, there will be many people who did not receive any money, but reliable sources on social media say they did.) As the press and organizers say, the cost rises to billions and tens of billions of won if millions of people converge to protest. Political action costs money. There should be no problems if the organizers covered the expenses from their own pockets, but if the money came from another source, should it be reported as a political contribution? If such unclear sources of funding remain hidden, the peaceful demonstrations and cultural protests are rotten to the core, yet wrapped in deceptive packaging.

Third, what is the slogan of the demonstrations? It is the resignation of the president. However, Park was elected into office in December of 2012 after winning 51.6% of the ballots in an election that drew a 75.8% voter turnout. Furthermore, the Park Geun-hye administration is a legitimate government succeeding the Roh Tae-woo, Kim Young-sam, Kim Dae-jung, Kim Dae-jung, Roh Moo-hyun and Lee Myung-bak administrations based on the five-year single-term presidency guaranteed by the Constitution that has governed our nation since 1987. Whatever the reason, any attempt to overthrow this democratically-elected and legitimate government goes directly against the Constitution. If a soldier attempted such a move, it would simply be a coup d’etat. Do candles replacing guns make such an attempt legitimate? Does such an attempt suddenly become legal simply because civilians rather than soldiers are behind it?

Fourth, hundreds of thousands of demonstrators who participated in the protests were prodded on by the news media and SNS. But what motivated the demonstrators? Shouldn’t political demonstrations be fueled by patriotism? However, a majority of the demonstrators simply wanted to see the performances put on by entertainers, get free meals and earn some cash or take selfies of themselves participating in a demonstration with famous politicians such as AhnCheol-soo and Moon Jae-in to show off to their friends. This is not pure patriotism, but the pursuit of personal gain or pleasure.

For members of my generation, who used to skip classes and lunches during college in order to take part in pro-democracy protests, braving tear gas, injury and even imprisonment, the present demonstrations are simply lamentable. Do the modern-day protesters even know the ramifications of the president’s resignation?

Fifth, it is only natural to assume that the organizers have a purpose in planning such massive candle-light protests by spending billions and hundreds of billions of won. Is it patriotism? I do not think so. Politicians and the elite members of our society who flocking around them know fully well that Park is a single woman with no family, no friends, no companions, who has only a year left in office with no white knight to come and save her. Their aim is to seize power by forcing presidential elections to be held earlier than scheduled. For them, the billions and hundreds of billions of won spent to organize massive candle-light protests are small change when compared to the trillions and tens of trillions of won they may gain after wresting control of government. Politicians are willing to do anything to win. However, in the eyes of a lawyer like myself, it is a shame that honest citizens are participating in illegal candle-light protests that are disguised as cultural events.

I’m afraid that the purest candle-light events were the caroling I used to take part in on Christmas Eve when I was a child. And the true protests were the ones I used to take part in as a university student  that were fueled by pure patriotism as I braved tear gas.

Dec. 16, 2016

촛불과 法治(법치)

촛불은 어릴 적 내가 크리스마스 전날 밤 캐럴 송을 부르며 들었던 그 촛불이 제일 순수하고 아름답다. 그리고, 시위는 순수한 애국심으로 했던 그 투박한 최루탄 시위가 좋았다.

어릴 적 내가 다니던 교회에서는 크리스마스 이브에 미사를 마친 후 모두 함께 거리로 나와 촛불을 들고 캐럴송을 부르면서 걸었다. 눈 내린 밤에 촛불 들고 노래 부르면서 하늘의 별을 보니 정말 멋졌다. 피곤해서 집에 돌아오면 마치 천국에 다녀온 듯 행복해져서 깊이 잠들었다.

그런데, 어느 날부터인가, 촛불이 한국 정치시위의 상징물이 되었다. 2002년 미선이 시위, 2008년 광우병 시위, 2014년 세월호 시위, 그리고 2016년 하야시위로 이어진 초대형 반정부 시위 때마다 예외 없이 촛불이 등장한다. 세월호 시위 때까지만 해도 촛불 들고 경건하게 시작되다가 후반에 가면 함성과 소란이 터져서 결국 군중과 충돌, 끝내 경찰의 개입을 부르면서 지저분하게 끝났다. 그런데 이번 하야 시위에선 끝까지 소란이 없고 오히려 유명 연예인들이 나와 노래와 춤까지 하니까 시위인지 축제인지 아리송해졌다. 시위와 콘서트를 결합시켜 새로운 시위문화를 만들어낸 한국인의 천재성(?)에 놀란 외국인들은 원더풀을 연발하면서 사진을 찍고 기사를 보낸다.

30년 전까지만 해도 한국의 시위는 투석과 함성, 경찰 장갑차의 최루탄 발사와 물대포, 격렬한 몸싸움과 수많은 부상자의 流血(유혈)로 얼룩져, 그야말로 전쟁처럼 격렬한 시위였다. 당시, 한국은 가장 격렬한 시위를 하는 나라로 악명이 높았다. 그러던 한국의 시위가 30년 만에 이렇게 문화축제로 바뀌었으니 빠른 변화에 세계가 놀라는 것도 무리는 아니다. 한국의 학계와 언론은 덩달아서 한국의 시위가 평화스러운 문화시위로 발전했다고 自畵自讚(자화자찬)이다.

그러나 이는 피상적인 관찰이다. 겉보기엔 진화요 발전인지 모르지만, 알맹이는 다르다. 겉포장만 보고 속이 썩은 것을 모른다. 法治(법치)의 눈에서 보면 한국은 진정 법치의 위기이다. 그 이유를 말한다.

모여서 문화축제를 한다는 건 물리적으로 불가능하다. 문화축제는 1000명 정도면 알맞지 않나? 몇십만 모이는 축제라면 광화문 광장이 아니라 대관령 평원이 적합하다. 나 같은 법률가의 눈에는 겉으로 문화 축제를 내세워 시위의 참여자를 늘리려는 얍삽한 대중 선동, 선전술로 보인다.

둘째, 시위대가 든 촛불은 누가 준비했나? 시위 주최 측이다. 촛불뿐인가? 도시락도 준비하고 일당도 주지 않았나? (물론, 돈 안 받은 사람도 많을 거다. 그러나 적지 않은 사람이 돈을 받았다고 믿을 만한 SNS가 말한다.) 언론과 주최 측 말대로 몇백만이 모이면 그 돈이 수십억, 수백억이다. 정치행위에 소요되는 돈은 정치비용이다. 주최 측이 자기 주머니에서 낸 돈이면 몰라도 만일에 다른 사람으로부터 받아낸 돈이라면 정치자금 신고를 해야 하지 않나? 이런 불투명한 자금흐름을 감추면서 무작정 평화시위, 문화시위라고 하는 건 썩은 내용물은 안 보고 번드레한 겉포장만 보는 것이다.

셋째, 시위의 구호가 무엇인가? 박 대통령의 하야이다. 그러나 朴 대통령은 2012년 12월 국민의 75.8%가 참여한 선거에서 51.6%의 득표로 당선된 民選(민선) 대통령이다. 더욱이, 1987년 이래 시행된 5년 단임 대통령제의 민주 헌법에 따라서 盧泰愚(노태우), 金泳三(김영삼), 金大中(김대중), 盧武鉉(노무현), 李明博(이명박)의 뒤를 이은 정통 정부이다. 명분이야 어떻든 이렇게 완벽한 민주, 정통 정부를 뒤집겠다는 건 헌법에 위반된 政變(정변)이다. 군인이 했으면 쿠데타이다. 총이 아니라 촛불을 들었다고 합법이 되나? 군인이 아니라 민간인이 했다고 適法(적법)이 되나?

넷째, 수십만의 참여자는 언론과 SNS의 안내 홍보를 받고 자발적으로 참여했다. 그러나, 참여의 동기가 무엇인가? 정치시위라면 애국심에서 참여해야 할 것 아닌가? 그러나, 다수가 연예인의 퍼포먼스를 보고 싶어, 도시락도 받고, 일당도 벌려고, 또는 안철수, 문재인 같은 유명 정치인과 인증샷을 찍어 친구들에게 보여주려고 참여하지 않았나? 순수한 애국심이 아니라 개인적 이익, 즉 재미나 돈을 보려고 참여한 것이다.

대학시절 수업도 빼먹고 밥도 거르면서, 최루탄 연기에 콜록거리며, 땀과 먼지, 때로는 이마에 흐르는 피까지 닦아가며 목이 터져라 韓日(한일)수교 반대, 독재타도를 외치고, 끝내는 停學(정학)받고 감옥가고 하던 우리 세대 사람들이 보면 시위에 참여하는 동기가 너무 유치하고 한심하다. 정녕, 이들은 대통령 하야의 의미를 알고 있는 것일까?

다섯째, 주최 측이 몇십억, 몇백억 자금을 풀어서 이런 초대형 촛불 행사를 기획할 때에는 목적이 있을 건 당연한 이치이다. 애국심이라고? 나는 믿지 않는다. 정치꾼들과 그들에 달라붙은 이 나라 지도층들이 마침 박 대통령이 가족도, 친구도, 동지도 없는 외톨이 여자인데다 임기가 1년밖에 안 남아 구원하러 나올 白騎士(백기사)가 없는 걸 알고 약점을 잡아 대통령을 몰아내고 早期(조기)선거를 해서 정권을 잡겠다는 플랜이다. 저들에게는 정권을 잡기 위해 쓰는 몇십억, 몇백억의 촛불 비용은 저들이 앞으로 정권을 잡아 뽑아낼 수조, 수십조의 이익에 비하면 껌값이리라. 정치꾼들이야 수단·방법을 가리지 않고 이기면 장땡이다. 그러나 나 같은 법률가의 눈에는 저들이 문화행사로 위장해서 개최하는 불법한 촛불행사에 영문도 모르고 참여하는 선량한 시민들이 안타깝다.

아무래도, 촛불은 어릴 적 내가 크리스마스 전날 밤 캐럴 송을 부르며 들었던 그 촛불이 제일 순수하고 아름답다. 그리고 시위는 순수한 애국심으로 했던 그 투박한 최루탄 시위가 좋았다.

2016.12.16. 金平祐(김평우)
(한국·미국 변호사, 제45대 대한변호사협회 회장, 2012년 이후 UCLA 비지팅 스칼라)

출처 : Translated by Simon Lim
[ 2017-03-08, 16:12 ] 트위터트위터   페이스북페이스북   네이버네이버
  • 기사목록
  • 이메일보내기
  • 프린트하기
  • 필자의 다른 기사보기
맨위로

댓글 글쓰기 주의사항

성천     2017-03-08 오후 4:27
문인의 피를 받아서 그런지 딱딱한 법에 인간의 심장이 느껴지고
글마다 명문이십니다.
변론을 봤더니 법학도들이 영원히 귀감을 삼아야할 명 변론인데다 말씀하시는 어조가 더 명품이더군요.

맨위로월간조선  |  천영우TV  |  조선일보  |  통일일보  |  미래한국  |  올인코리아  |  뉴데일리  |  자유민주연구원  |  이승만TV  |  이기자통신  |  최보식의 언론
  개인정보취급방침
이메일
모바일 버전