후세인을 저주하게 된 한 인간방패의 고백

토론방     필자의 다른 기사보기 

• 스크랩하기
  • 기사목록
  • 이메일보내기
  • 프린트하기
*이 글은 토론방에서 가져온 것이다.제목은 변경했다.
   이름:demos (younghoward@ziplip.com) (35, 남, 직장인)
   2003-04-04 오전 10:56:00 203.236.3.209

나는 사담을 위한 순진하고 어리석은 인간방패였다.(번역)

DAILY TELEGRAPH (LONDON)
  BY DANIEL PEPPER
  2003년 3월 24일

※ 이라크에 인간방패로 갔다가 이라크 현실을 직시하면서 이번 전쟁의 본질을 다시 이해하게 된 사람의 글입니다.

I was a naive fool to be a human shield for Saddam
  (March 26, 2003)
  DAILY TELEGRAPH (London)
  By Daniel Pepper
  March 24, 2003

I wanted to join the human shields in Baghdad because was direct action which had a chance of bringing the anti-war movement to the forefront of world attention. It was inspiring: the human shield volunteers were making a sacrifice for their political views - much more of a personal investment than going to a demonstration in Washington or London. It was simple - you get on the bus and you represent yourself.

So that is exactly what I did on the morning of Saturday, January 25. I am a 23-year-old Jewish-American photographer living in Islington, north London. I had travelled in the Middle East before: as a student, I went to the Palestinian West Bank during the intifada. I also went to Afghanistan as a photographer for Newsweek.

나는 인간방패가 전쟁 반대 운동에 세계인의 이목을 집중시킬 수 있는 직접적인 행동이라고 생각했기 때문에 바그다드의 인간 방패팀에 합류하기를 원했다. 인간 방패 지원자들이 자신들의 열정을 워싱턴이나 런던의 시위운동에 참여하는 대신에 그들의 정치적 목적을 위해 직접 희생한다는 것이 나에게는 고무적인 일이었다. 이것은 간단한 일이었다. 그냥 버스에 올라타서 너 자신을 보여주면 되는 일이다.

1월 25일 토요일 아침 나는 정확히 그렇게 했다. 나는 23살이며 런던 북쪽 Islington에 살고 있는 유태계 미국인 사진작가이다. 나는 전에 중동지역을 여행한 적이 있다. 학생이었을 때 나는 Intifada(가자 지구와 West Bank 이스라엘 점령지역에서의 팔레스타인에 의한 반란)기간에 팔레스타인의 West Bank에 갔었다. 나는 또한 신문 사진기사로 아프가니스탄에도 갔었다.

The human shields appealed to my anti-war stance, but by the time I had left Baghdad five weeks later my views had changed drastically. I wouldn't say that I was exactly pro-war - no, I am ambivalent - but I have a strong desire to see Saddam removed.

We on the bus felt that we were sympathetic to the views of the Iraqi civilians, even though we didn't actually know any. The group was less interested in standing up for their rights than protesting against the US and UK governments.

인간방패운동은 나의 전쟁 반대 입장에 호소력이 있었다. 그러나 5주 후에 내가 바그다드를 떠날 때 나는 완전히 변해있었다. 그럼 지금은 내가 진정으로 전쟁 찬성론자가 되었느냐 하면 그것은 아니다. 다만 나는 사담이 제거되기를 몹시 바라는 것뿐이다.

우리는 버스 안에서 우리가 진정 이라크 시민들의 입장에 동정적이라고 느꼈다. 우리가 이라크 사람들에 대해 실질적으로 아는 것은 아무 것도 없었지만 말이다. 그러나 실제 우리는 이라크 사람들의 입장을 이해하고 그들을 옹호하는 입장이었다기 보다는 미국과 영국 정부에 맞서 싸우는 것에 더 관심이 많았다.

I was shocked when I first met a pro-war Iraqi in Baghdad - a taxi driver taking me back to my hotel late at night. I explained that I was American and said, as we shields always did, 'Bush bad, war bad, Iraq good'. He looked at me with an expression of incredulity.

As he realised I was serious, he slowed down and started to speak in broken English about the evils of Saddam's regime. Until then I had only heard the President spoken of with respect, but now this guy was telling me how all of Iraq's oil money went into Saddam's pocket and that if you opposed him politically he would kill your whole family.

바그다드에서 맨 처음 이라크 전쟁에 찬성하는 이라크인을 만났을 때 나는 쇼크를 받았다. 그는 늦은 밤 나를 호텔로 데려다 준 택시 운전사였다. 나는 미국인이며 우리는 항상 나쁜 부시, 나쁜 전쟁, 좋은 이라크를 옹호한다고 설명하였다. 그는 나를 의심스런 눈초리로 쳐다보았다. 내가 정말 진지하게 말한다는 것을 그가 알아차렸을 때 그는 차의 속도를 늦추더니 엉성하기 짝이 없는 영어로 사담 후세인 정권의 사악함에 대해서 말하기 시작하였다. 그때까지 나는 이라크 대통령이 이라크인들로부터 존경받는다는 말만 들었다. 그러나 이 남자는 이라크의 석유 자금이 어떻게 사담의 호주머니로 들어가게 되었는지를 말하였고, 만약 당신이 정치적으로 사담에 반대한다면 그는 당신의 가족 모두를 죽일 것이라고 했다.

It scared the hell out of me. First I was thinking that maybe it was the secret police trying to trick me but later I got the impression that he wanted me to help him escape. I felt so bad. I told him: 'Listen, I am just a schmuck from the United States, I am not with the UN, I'm not with the CIA - I just can't help you.'

이것은 나를 몹시 두렵게 했다. 처음엔 이것은 비밀경찰이 나를 함정에 빠트리려고 하는 것이라고 생각했다. 그러나 그 운전사는 내가 그의 이라크 탈출을 도와주기를 바랬다는 것을 후에야 깨달았다. 나는 몹시 가슴이 아팠다. 나는 그에게 말했다. 나는 단지 미국에서 온 평범한 사람이다. 나는 UN이나 CIA의 일원이 아니다. 나는 당신을 도울 수가 없다.

Of course I had read reports that Iraqis hated Saddam Hussein, but this was the real thing. Someone had explained it to me face to face. I told a few journalists who I knew. They said that this sort of thing often happened - spontaneous, emotional, and secretive outbursts imploring visitors to free them from Saddam's tyrannical Iraq.

I became increasingly concerned about the way the Iraqi regime was restricting the movement of the shields, so a few days later I left Baghdad for Jordan by taxi with five others. Once over the border we felt comfortable enough to ask our driver what he felt about the regime and the threat of an aerial bombardment.

물론 나는 이라크 국민들은 사담 후세인을 미워한다는 기사를 읽은 적이 있다. 그러나 이것은 기사가 아닌 사실이다. 이라크인 누군가가 나와 얼굴을 맞대고 그런 이야기를 해준 것이다. 이 대화 후 나는 몇몇 저널리스트들에게 내 경험을 말했다. 나의 이야기를 들은 저널리스트들은 '사담의 전제주의 이라크로부터 자유를 얻기 위해 방문자들에게 자발적, 감정적으로 애원하는 일들은 종종 발생한다'고 말해주었다.

나는 인간방패운동을 제약하는 이라크 정부의 정책을 점차 우려하게 되었다. 그래서 며칠 후에 5명의 다른 사람들과 함께 택시로 바그다드를 떠나 요르단으로 향했다. 국경을 넘어서야 우리는 편해졌고 운전기사에게 후세인 정권 그리고 공중 폭격의 위협에 대해 물을 수 있었다.

'Don't you listen to Powell on Voice of America radio?' he said. 'Of course the Americans don't want to bomb civilians. They want to bomb government and Saddam's palaces. We want America to bomb Saddam.'

We just sat, listening, our mouths open wide. Jake, one of the others, just kept saying, 'Oh my God' as the driver described the horrors of the regime. Jake was so shocked at how naive he had been. We all were. It hadn't occurred to anyone that the Iraqis might actually be pro-war.

'미국 라디오에서 Powell의 이야기를 듣지 못하느냐?'하고 그는 물었다. '당연히 미국인은 민간인에게 폭탄을 투하하기를 원하지 않는다. 그들은 정부와 사담의 궁전에 폭탄을 투하하기를 원한다. 우리는 미국이 사담에게 폭탄을 투여하기를 원한다.'
  우리는 입을 크게 벌린 채 그저 앉아서 듣고만 있었다. 운전 기사가 후세인 정권의 공포정치에 대해 묘사했을 때 일행중 한 사람이었던 잭은 그저 '오 신이여!' 만을 연발 할 뿐이었다. 잭은 그가 어떻게 속고 있었는가를 알고서는 꽤나 충격을 받았다. 우리 모두 그랬다. 이라크 인들이 전쟁을 찬성한다는 것은 누구도 생각지 못했었다.

The driver's most emphatic statement was: 'All Iraqi people want this war.' He seemed convinced that civilian casualties would be small; he had such enormous faith in the American war machine to follow through on its promises. Certainly more faith than any of us had.

운전 기사가 가장 강조했던 것은 '모든 이라크 국민들은 이 전쟁을 원한다.'는 것이었다.

민간인 사상자들의 수는 적을 것이라고 그는 확신하고 있었다. 그는 미국의 전쟁 무기에 대단한 신뢰를 가지고 있었다. 우리가 가지고 있는 어떤 것보다도 더 강한 믿음이었다.

Perhaps the most crushing thing we learned was that most ordinary Iraqis thought Saddam Hussein had paid us to come to protest in Iraq. Although we explained that this was categorically not the case, I don't think he believed us. Later he asked me: 'Really, how much did Saddam pay you to come?'

우리가 알게된 가장 충격적인 것은 아마도 대부분의 평범한 이라크 인들은 전쟁에 항의하기 위해 이라크로 오는 인간 방패들에게 사담 후세인이 대가를 지불할 것이라고 생각한다는 것이었다. 우리는 절대그렇지 않다고 설명하였음에도 불구하고 그는 우리를 믿지 않았다고 생각한다. 후에 그는 나에게 '정말로, 네가 이라크에 오는 대가로 사담이 얼마나 지불했니?' 하고 물었다.

It hit me on visceral and emotional levels: this was a real portrayal of Iraq life. After the first conversation, I completely rethought my view of the Iraqi situation. My understanding changed on intellectual, emotional, psychological levels. I remembered the experience of seeing Saddam's egomaniacal portraits everywhere for the past two weeks and tried to place myself in the shoes of someone who had been subjected to seeing them every day for the last 20 or so years.

이것은 나의 내부와 감정을 자극했다. 이것이 이라크 생활의 진실이다. 처음 대화 이후에, 나는 이라크 현실에 대한 나의 관점에 대하여 완전히 다시 생각하였다. 이것은 지적, 감정적, 심리적 이해에 바탕을 둔 변화였다. 나는 지난 두 주 동안 모든 곳에서 후세인의 초상화를 봤던 경험을 기억하였다. 그리고 지난 20년 혹은 그에 상당한 기간 동안 매일같이 초상화를 보기를 강요당하는 사람들의 입장이 되어 보았다.

Last Thursday night I went to photograph the anti-war rally in Parliament Square. Thousands of people were shouting 'No war' but without thinking about the implications for Iraqis. Some of them were drinking, dancing to Samba music and sparring with the police. It was as if the protesters were talking about a different country where the ruling government is perfectly acceptable. It really upset me.

지난 목요일 밤 나는 Parliament Square에 있었던 전쟁 반대 집회에 사진을 찍기 위해 갔다. 수천의 사람들이 이라크 국민들을 위한 깊이 있는 사고 없이 전쟁 반대를 외치고 있었다. 그들 중 일부의 사람들은 술을 마시기도 했고, 삼바 음악에 맞춰 춤을 추기도 했으며 경찰과 다툼을 벌이기도 했다. 항의자들은 이라크는 문제가 없는 완벽한 정부의 통치가 이루어지는 나라로 생각하고 있는 것 같았다. 나는 정말로 당황스러웠다.

Anyone with half a brain must see that Saddam has to be taken out. It is extraordinarily ironic that the anti-war protesters are marching to defend a government which stops its people exercising that freedom.

정상적 사고의 반만큼이라도 생각할 줄 아는 사람이라면 누구라도 사담이 제거되어야 한다는 것을 알 수 있을 것이다. 국민의 자유를 그토록 억압하는 정부를 보호하기 위해 전쟁 반대자들이 행진을 한다는 것은 엄청난 아이러니이다.

출처 :
[ 2003-04-04, 12:06 ] 트위터트위터   페이스북페이스북   네이버네이버
  • 기사목록
  • 이메일보내기
  • 프린트하기
  • 필자의 다른 기사보기
맨위로

댓글 글쓰기 주의사항

맨위로월간조선  |  조선일보  |  통일일보  |  미래한국  |  올인코리아  |  코나스넷  |  리버티헤럴드  |  뉴데일리  |  뉴스파인더  |  뉴포커스
  개인정보취급방침
이메일